Sunday, January 22, 2012

Memories

What is my earliest memory? What a particular question that deserves a particular answer. My earliest memory is pretty fuzzy like watching an old VHS tape. The memory I believe harkens back quite early into my childhood. If I recall it was me in my crib in my room. My room was dark so I would think the lights were off and it was night. There was though the large amount of light protruding through the open doorway. I believe it was my mother standing in the doorway. I think I was in some kind of distress which was probably my dislike of being in the darkness which is something I still dislike today. I'm not sure there is anything more than that to remember about it, its quite like a single picture. Nothing to remember of its sound or really anything more. It is a particularly faint memory but it is my earliest I believe. A more vivid but early memory I think would have me older and constructing a box. The box would have me on the kitchen floor with my grandfather. I believe it to be the same box in my room on my dresser. Using tools I think that came with it I believe. Painting it with a small set of paints from the box. I with the help of my grandfather put together the box. I don't remember it being quite too hard as there wasn't much to put together. I remember a couple sounds from the hammering of the nails with the hammer. I remember most of my immediate family being there moving around the house. I remember being quite intrigued by the hidden pullout panel at the bottom of the box. Under it one could hide rather flat or small objects. Deception and trickery being an interest of mine from an early year factoring into the fascination. The memory is pretty significant. It brings back other memories of my grandfather whom I hold quite fondly in memory. Truly a great man ripped from the world and me just like most things I have grown fond of but that is besides the point. Another memory somewhat far back would be when I first started to ride my prized star wars darth maul bike without the training wheels. A nerve-racking experience with my mother on the sidewalk across the street. A frightening experience when your a chronically fear stricken child at the mercy of yourself and gravity. No training wheels on the bright summer's afternoon. I can remember the utter fear and dislike of the urgings of my mother. Her pushing leaving me on my bike in motion for a short period learning to pedal unaided by the training wheels. I don't think I had truly succeeded that day in liberating to ride the bike unaided but it was a step forward. I would eventually in the coming retries suffer through the fear and anxiety of falling which I probably did do anyways multiple times. These are of course only a small portion of my early memories but they are quite significant in my early life and how I grew to become the person I am today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment